Bánh Bò Nướng is a wonderful cake that is quite easy to make and completely gluten free.
The name honeycomb is due to the action of the baking powder with the tapioca starch.
Follow the instructions completely to achieve the best results. It is extremely important to use only single acting baking powder(available at Myre). If double acting powder is used, the results will be a gummy mess. All of the ingredients in this recipe are available at Myre.
NOTE: Batter should be lumpy, Over mixing will result in a poor rise and gummy texture.
8oz of Mae Ploy coconut cream
1 cup white sugar ( I use 3/4 cup) but if you have a sweet tooth use 1 cup
About 1/3 of a 20mL bottle of Pandan flavoring
2 cups tapioca flour/starch
2 1/2 teaspoons(1 packet) of SINGLE ACTING baking powder (Dr Oetker or Alsa brand)
1 tsp Vanilla extract.
1. In a sauce pan over low heat, add the 1/2 can of coconut milk and the 1 cup sugar. Stir until the liquid becomes clear and sugar is dissolved. Let this mixture cool to room temperature
2. Preheat the oven at 375 degrees
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk the 6 eggs, It is very important that the eggs are slowly blended. DON'T BEAT THE EGGS, STIR ONLY
4.When the coconut milk/sugar mixture is completely cool, loose mix this to the beaten eggs with Pandan extract and vanilla.
5. Gradually sift 2 cups of tapioca flour + 2 1/2 teaspoon of single acting baking powder(1 packet of Single Acting Baking Powder). AGAIN, STIR THIS IN SLOWLY UNTIL THE BIGGER LUMPS ARE BLENDED. This mixture will be watery.
6.Pour mixture through fine meshed strainer or flour sifter directly into a heavily greased Bundt pan. Use a spoon to push lumps through strainer.
7. Bake at 375 F for 40-45 min. Test for done by inserting a tooth pick or bamboo skewer in the center of the cake. once it comes out clean, the cake is done. The top should be light to medium brown, Let cool and enjoy
Bánh Bò Nướng
Vietnamese Honeycomb Cake